It’s hard to tell someone how to dress and what the key is to great style, especially in menswear! That being said, there is a one piece that seems to so effortlessly make a true gentleman, a piece that is so versatile it can work with almost any look, and a piece so simple that I wonder how it can mean so much to the whole menswear industry. The white shirt.
It was my dad that taught me about the importance of classic menswear pieces like a good brogue, a quality crombie, and of course the white shirt. Obviously, I spent many years ignoring his advice to stop buying cheap and on-trend crap in bulk, and start buying more Classic pieces. There was a time when I thought leather, leopard print and bucket loads of cheap jewellery was a better investment than a winter coat or a bag that could last the whole day without its cheap straps falling to pieces at the buckles.
To cut a long life story short, once I found my way I also found the white shirt. The white shirt has become a staple in my wardrobe, part of my uniform. When I’m picking a white shirt I usually go for a long sleeve with a mand
arin collar or a short sleeve with a regular collar. Collar is key, you don’t want to resemble the likes of Harry Hill and you don’t want look like you’re being chocked by your own shirt. Styling is basic when it comes to this simple piece, wear it with whatever you please, I personally never wear mine with a suit because I feel that style is reserved for the 30+ and im not there yet. This will be bad advice, but when I’m looking at the fit of a white shirt I always go for what I feel comfortable in not what looks the best, I think a shirt will always suit you less if you look uncomfortable. Do I have anymore advice on how best to wear or buy a white shirt? No. However, if you are still truly lost cosstores.com is a good place to start and it’s where I got my favourites from.
So, the white shirt, like most things in life, it’s what you make it and no wardrobe is complete without one or seven. If you don’t have a special spot in your wardrobes reserved for white shirts then shame on you!
By Fashion Nazi
- Fallen Angels by Robert MacNeil - June 21, 2017
- Gold Teeth Seem to be Back in Fashion – Should You Get Yours? - June 6, 2017
- Artist Kris Leblanc – Interview by Robert MacNeil - May 24, 2017
- 6 People You Always See At Coachella - May 11, 2017
- End of Times By Robert Macneil - April 4, 2017
- Brighton Belles: 5 Lifehacks to keep the partying at bay and never age a day! - March 29, 2017
- Clean Out Your Closet: How to Make Extra Money with your Old Clothes - March 24, 2017
- 7 Fashion Essentials This Spring - February 23, 2017
- DARK ANGELS BY ROBERT MACNEIL - February 10, 2017
- No sex toys please we’re British…oh go on then! - January 28, 2017