Beauty & Ruin proudly champions new releases from emerging artists, and this time around it’s the turn of multi-instrumentalist, producer and bass supernova: Boyshadow, an alias of muso and all round groove-spreader, Anthony Channer.
“By Endurance We Conquer” is the 2nd EP release from Boyshadow, and we are totally stoked to preview an exclusive link to two of these tracks – “Apollo” and “Regardez le Clown”, right here on Beauty and Ruin Magazine.
With a seemingly endless stock pile of ear worms – throbbingly bold, decisive and progressive electronic tracks – it is quite clear Boyshadow is an artist ready to make waves and become a serious player in the melting pot of electronic music.
Apart from being told he ‘has the groove’ by Stuart Zender of Jamiroquai, where could one go next? Boyshadow honed his session playing skills playing for noughties super-babes Melanie Blatt (of All Saints’ superstardom) and piano-playing quirk-pop songstress, Nerina Pallot.
‘Bigger than One’s Shadow’
Ten years on from Music College, honed in production, composition and making a musical living, Boyshadow has relatively recently set about releasing his own material, which he mentions modestly as long overdue, and, as a result, he follows his first EP with his second – in quick succession.
What strikes the listener at once is that “By Endurance We Conquer” is totally loaded with nods to possibly the very best of subversive grooves; the funk, acid jazz and electro of some years passed, while retaining a gleamingly intense originality. Whether a fan of The Bad Plus, Unkle, Radiohead. Tricky, Massive Attack, the alberti triad movements and classical harmony reminiscent of Muse, arpeggiated-hooks by Air or Acidic Jazz funk bass grooves only previously found in the dirty depths of Jamiroquai’s peak – all these reincarnations can be heard swirling around this EP’s musical exo-skeleton, unassumingly rekindling the muscle memory of your best bass-face.
Whether you hear all of these references, or none of them at all, this body of work sounds like nobody or nothing else but Boyshadow, surely the biggest compliment of all.
See our exclusive interview with Boyshadow here.
“By Endurance We Conquer” is out now on iTunes, Spotify, CDBaby and from www.boyshadow.com
EP: By Endurance We Conquer
- 7 Fashion Essentials This Spring - February 23, 2017
- DARK ANGELS BY ROBERT MACNEIL - February 10, 2017
- No sex toys please we’re British…oh go on then! - January 28, 2017
- New Live Sessions Video With HYNMS - January 9, 2017
- Trainspotting 2 – The Twenty Year Itch - November 28, 2016
- BIF NAKED INTERVIEW BY ROBERT MACNEIL - November 7, 2016
- Suzanne Gardner Artist interview by Robert MacNeil - October 24, 2016
- A Look At The Top 5 Unconventional Things To Do In Brighton - October 20, 2016
- ‘Jessica Chin King’ Photoshoot and Interview by Robert MacNeil - October 11, 2016
- HYMNS: The Sound of the Masquerade - August 26, 2016